Aigues-Mortes is a town in the Languedoc-Roussillon region of southeastern France, southwest of Nîmes, on the Canal du Rhône à Sète, with its own 3.5-mile (6km) canal to the Gulf of Lion. Its name comes from aquae mortuae, the "dead waters" of the surrounding saline delta marshlands of the Camargue. Built by Louis IX as the embarkation port for his two crusades in 1248 and 1270, the little town is enclosed by towers and massive 13th century walls 25 to 30 feet (8 to 9 m) high. The medieval town plan remains intact and on the northwest corner you can climb up to the Tour de Constance and walk along the walls. The Church Notre Dame des Sablons is the oldest monument in the town. La Tour Cabonniere is an ancient watchtower situated at Saint Laurent d'Aigouze, in the countryside, was used to defend the only access to the City. The little archeologic museum will provide more information on the history of the area.
There are no cruises currently listed for this port of call.