Bengkulu in Southwest Sumatra is on the southwest coast of the island of Sumatra, and borders the provinces of West Sumatra, Jambi, South Sumatra and Lampung. It was formerly the site of a British garrison, which they called Bencoolen. Bengkulu lies near the Sunda Fault and is prone to earthquakes and tsunamis. The English East India Company established a pepper-trading centre and garrison at Bengkulu (Bencoolen) in 1685. In 1714 the British built Fort Marlborough in the city, which still stands and they maintained a presence for 150 years before ceding it to the Dutch as part of the Anglo-Dutch Treaty of 1824. Like the rest of Indonesia, Bengkulu remained a Dutch colony until after World War II.
Sights in the town include the well preserved Fort Marlborough, the second biggest fortress built by the East India Company,
the nearby Thomas Parr and Hamilton Monuments, the remains of old 17th-19th century British cemeteries and Soekarno House, where the first to-be Indonesian president was exiled to Bengkulu by the Dutch on 1930's. The world's largest flower, the raffesias can be found in the hills above the city.
There are no cruises currently listed for this port of call.