Calgary Bay lies on the north west of of the island of Mull about 5 miles beyond Dervaig and 12 miles from the islandís capital Tobermory. It is framed by low hills, partly wooded and has a white shell sand beach and craggy headlands Ė home to a rich variety of birdlife and the haunting ruins of stone forts and abandoned villages. The main settlement was once at Inivea, above Calgary Pier, which became uninhabited in the early 1800ís during the Highland Clearances. There are roofless stone ruins there.
Calgary Castle, overlooking the bay,was built in 1817 by Captain Alan MacAskill who retired here. He built the gothic, gentrified and castellated front part on to the rear quarter which was an 18th century traditional Lairdís house built in the 1780s. This was a favourite summer home of Colonel James Macleod, of the Canadian North West Mounted Police who stayed here in 1876, suggested its name for Fort Calgary which in turn gave itís name to the city of Calgary, Alberta.
There are no cruises currently listed for this port of call.