Caraquet is situated on the shore of Chaleur Bay on the northeastern point of the Acadian Peninsula in New Brunswick. Its name is derived from the Mi'kmaq term for meeting of two rivers. The Caraquet River and Rivière du Nord flow into the Caraquet Bay west of the town. Caraquet is the oldest of the Arcadian villages founded in 1757. Visit the Acadian Museum and the Historic Village, which demonstrates the Acadian way of life during the 18th century. The remote villages of Acadia including Grande Anse and Ile le Mec can also be visited.
The Mi'kmaq were the first to have visited the region, as early as 4000 years ago. Objects have been discovered in the port but it's thought they used the place as a camp and not as a village. The Vikings had visited the region from the year one thousand, then we know that Basque, Breton and Norman fishermen came in the thirteenth century. Jacques Cartier explored the surrounding area in 1534. Caraquet was founded around 1731 by the Breton Gabriel Giraud dit Saint-Jean and the town is unofficially called Acadia's capital by its residents.
There are no cruises currently listed for this port of call.