Cotonou is the largest city and chief port of Benin, situated on a strip of land between the Gulf of Guinea and Lake Nokoue in West Africa. Cotonou is the site of many government buildings, including Parliament and the supreme court, as well as foreign embassies. The National University of Benin (1970) and a botanical garden are also in the city. In 1851 the French established a military station at Cotonou and used it as a base for gradual occupation of the region. The commercial growth of the city was aided by the construction of a modern artificial port, which was completed in 1965.
There are no cruises currently listed for this port of call.