Gough Island is one of the four islands of Tristan da Cunha in the South Atlantic. The other three are grouped together while Gough lies more than 200 nautical miles to the south. It is a dependent territory of Great Britain and forms a dependency of St. Helena.
It is uninhabited, and is in the direct path of the Roaring Forties, receiving in excess of 100 inches (2,540 mm) of rain per annum. It is 7 miles long by 3.5 miles wide, and of volcanic origin, rising to over 3,000 ft above sea level. Most of the coastline consists of cliffs some 500 - 1,000 ft high, and there is no sheltered harbour or anchorage. The only suitable landing place for boats is at Glen Anchorage in Quest Bay on the East Coast. It is a protected wildlife reserve, which has been designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO and has been described as one of the least disrupted ecosystems of its kind and one of the best shelters for nesting seabirds in the Atlantic.
Gough Island was discovered in the early 16th Century by the Portuguese navigator, Goncalo Alvarez, who gave it his name: the island was commonly known as Diego Alvarez . Little was heard of the island subsequently, until it was resighted by Captain Gough of the Richmond , a British ship, in 1731. Its precise geographical location was unclear for many years, but eventually it became known to British and American sealers and whalers, who preferred the name Gough Island.
There are no cruises currently listed for this port of call.